Chicken hiding and weird behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by takethelead, Oct 9, 2013.

1. takethelead

takethelead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    My 1 year old hen is the only free range hen i have the rest are in coops but lately shes been disappearing and only appearing every few days to eat and when she does come back shes clucking very loudly and running very fast to get to me. When i feed her she seems like she has been starving. I went outside a couple days ago to give my chickens in the coop their oatmeal and raisin treat and she emerged from under our building starving for food. Ive checked all under and crawled everywhere not finding a nest. shes been staying under their lately and only comes out in the mornings with the same weird behavior. she used to never want to be near me. Now she runs up to my feet and wont leave me alone. There hasn't been a predator around since my dogs are outside so what could it be ive never seen her so spooked.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The behavior that you are describing sounds like that of a setting or broody hen. Are you positive that she does not have a nest hidden somewhere?

3. takethelead

takethelead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Ive checked everywhere and the only place she goes in under my building and i see a place where she has been scratching around but nothing more than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by