Chicken hiding underneath her sister?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rustic Chicken, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Rustic Chicken

Rustic Chicken In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    I went into the coop last night to check on the girls. One of my 6 week old plymouth rocks looked odd. It appeared as though she had a huge thing of feathers jetting out from her chest. Upon closer inspection I realized that her slightly smaller sister was hiding/sleeping underneath her and her bigger sister was almost sitting on her head. Everyone seemed OK otherwise. Is this normal behavior?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, yeah, that is totally normal. Alot of the time, when they're younger, they will pile up on the ground once it gets dark. Even when they begin to roost, you'll often see them sort of snuggle together, maybe one hen will put it's wing over another, or one will sort of hide her head under another hen's breast. It's really sort of cute....like they're snuggling together......

3. bigstack

bigstack Songster

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I am not sure! I think it is fine? Maybe cold or scared. I have 2 mastiff mix dogs. The small one has and still does this. They are 5 years old now and people who don't know they are sisters think they are hung up(breeding)! LOL If you seperate them they will both reposition back into the same stance as before! It is so Odd but cute! Luckly the short one (Sam) is exactly short enough to fit just under her sisters (Harley) tummy. They have been like this since I got them at 8 weeks old! If they are both standing they are in this position! Harley will be looking at you and Sam will be coming from directly under her to the right side. It's like they are siames twins conected at the hips. LOL I wish I knew more but I think it is ok.

Good Luck and God Bless!

4. Rustic Chicken

Jun 2, 2010
    According to Sharon it is perfectly normal... Thanks Sharon! It really is sweet and heart warming. I'll try to get a photo tonight.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:You are welcome! I've gotta get a pic too.......They do this every single night. They all line up on the roost, and they have a specific buddy they like to get by. It's so charming.

The thing about piling that worries me with the younger ones is, even when its HOT out, they still pile up. A few friends of mine lost a couple of their younger birds.....they were at the bottom of the pile and they apparently got too hot. Knock on wood, I've been lucky.

6. Rustic Chicken

Jun 2, 2010
    The heat was my biggest worry about moving the girls from their brooder to the coop, but we put in a great fan ventilation system and the temperature and humidity has been really well controlled. I'm ready for fall though! Being a Vermonter I've never gotten comfortable in this southern heat. Oh wait, it's not about me it's about the girls.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a few different "coop" buildings, and one of them is the Duck House. Never used by the ducks, so I utilized it as a grow out coop for four bantams. 2 Silver Sebrights, a bantam Buff Brahma, and a bantam black Cochin. The Cochin is the only pullet (darn it). Well, the other 3 all try to snuggle up under HER to sleep at night. Now that the Buff Brahma is a bit bigger, poor Lola just gets pushed higher with these other three practically underneath her.

Luckily, their "roost" is actually a plastic milk crate, so there's a good flat base for them all to pile up there.

8. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Songster

May 7, 2010
    i have 3 wynedottes. 2 of them get pushed up by my fatties (americaunas). It's funny because as they're getting ready to go to sleep they just sleep standing up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by