Chicken Hit By A Car

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SandyC, Aug 26, 2008.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my chickens was hit by a car while I was out. At first she seemed dazed and layed on her side. I checked her and can find nothing that looks damaged, but she isn't standing or using her legs. I checked them and they seem intact. I just was out looking at her and it seems that she has changed her postion in her box some and her head is up and she seems more alert, but she still is sitting odd and her legs are behind her. Any suggestions. Should I just make sure she is comfortable and check her better in the morning? I know this sounds mean, but I really can't afford a big vet bill right now for one of my chickens, even though I do love her.

Thanks

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Wow - hopefully she's ok!! She might just be in shock, if you don't see any damage. Might want to try giving her a little sugar water - it helps to perk them up. Just mix some in a glass and hold it up to her beak and see what happens.

Hope she's ok!

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sad - so sorry she is hurt.
    Electroltyes for shock. V&E by Durvet for example. In a pinch, pedialtye or gatorade.
    We don't know if she's bleeding internally or not yet so I am reluctant to advocate pain killer even though she likely is really hurting. When and if okay to use, it's 5 regular (325 mg) aspirin (no substitues) crushed into one gallon of water.
    Others will come along to address more of her issues.
    Please keep us posted.
    I hope very much she will recover.
    JJ

4. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    Sounds like JJ told her about all you can do. I'm no expert but would keep her in a quiet place by herself at the very least.

I hope she makes it. [​IMG]

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would lightly pinch the end of a toe of each leg to make sure she has feeling too, that way you know if you might be dealing w/ a back injury. poor girl, wishing her a speedy recovery. [​IMG]

6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sandy, how is she doing today?
    Is she eating or drinking (the latter most important)?
    How is her poop?
    Can you keep her separated in a way that doesn't stress her out so you can watch her eating/drinking/bathroom habits?
    It's possible she could have temporary nerve damage and swelling that would impact her legs etc. - this could improve.
    JJ

7. SandyC

I can't see that she is eating or drinking. She is pretty much lying like she was last night and jumps when I try to pet her. Her head in stuck in the corner out of site. I don't know that she is going to make it. I thought of lifting her out so I could inspect her better, but I don't want to hurt her more. Poor thing. I feel helpless.

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    We need dlhunicorn.

If nothing seems hurt but she seems dazed, I'm guessing shock.

How do you know she was hit by a car? Did the driver tell you? If not I bet they thought it was funny, "why did the chicken cross the road" [​IMG] :thun

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Try to gently get some electroltye water in her if you can - you can dribble very slowly from eyedropper along the edge of her beak so she swallows on her own. Or if she likes fruit like watermelon, submerge the watermelon in the electrolyte water and then remove from the water and give to her in small bite size pieces.
    You can also get Rescue Remedy (health food store) and give her a couple of drops. I would hurry to do this - some believe it has helped their pets with pain (it also helps with stress) and there is no problem giving this like there might be with aspirin if she has internal injuries. She really needs some pain relief here.
    JJ

10. SandyC

I have tried everything I can think of to get her to drink, but her beak is clamped shut. I have brought her in the house and she is in a box, so I will try again frequently.

I was out yesterday when it happened, but my son said someone came to the door and asked if we were missing a chicken and led him to the road, where he saw her lying by the side of the road. So he carried her in. I assume from that, she was hit by a car.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by