Chicken hoped fence, scared like crazy. Will she do it again?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by missy_cbell21, Oct 28, 2013.

1. missy_cbell21

missy_cbell21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    maysville, nc
    I let my 4 girls out to roam the yard today, I let them out about 2 days a week. They do put themselves away at night. Today I went to check on them and couldn't find one. Searched for awhile then the dogs let me know where she was. She hopped the fence (4 foot tall) and was just hiding on the other side. She was cowering in the bushes right by the fence. I thought she was laying an egg so I let her be, finally caught her and put her in her house. Now I'm wondering if she was scared enough of being alone that she will not do it again. If there is a good chance she is going to escape again I may just keep them in the tractor. The only problem is that every time I try to feed them they go crazy and try to get out and play with the kids. Ideas? opinions?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd bet she will do it again and again. I've had a few ho would do this them start tring to get back in about as soon as they found themselves out. I wonder if they can conceive of "in" and "out."

3. creepygothnursi

creepygothnursi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    I'd bet she'll keep doing it. I had one who singlehandedly (singlewingedly?) lost the flock its open-topped run by immediately jumping out and running for all it was worth, every. single. time. I would let them out. After an unfortunate incident where I had to dive to grab her and she lost some tailfeathers, they had to stay in the coop for a few days until we were able to enclose the top of the run. I don't think they do grasp the idea of in and out, and some of them are just escape artists and want to get over what's in front of them at any cost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by