Chicken Hopping around with Injured Leg/Foot ????

BarnChickyOO

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Proudly Born in the USA
I went away for the holidays, and the lady who was watching my birds said that one of the girls got her foot pinched in the door. (never happened to me before but....)

That was a few days ago, and she is still hopping around doing everything in her power not to let the injured foot touch the ground.
I looked at her a few times, and there doesn't seem to be any swelling or broken skin or anything like that. It looks pretty much normal.

She did not go outside much today, and spent most of her time laying on the coop floor with her eyes closed.

What do you think is wrong with her? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

She may have a sprain or a broken bone. I would place her in a crate in the coop with food and water so she will be forced to rest the leg. Put some B vitamins or poultry vitamins in her water. Keep her in there for a week and then reevaluate her; if not better, then keep her up for another week. Many would suggest aspirin, but it might make her want to use the leg while she is supposed to rest it. Keep her in the coop so she doesn't lose her place in the flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom