Chicken Hormones?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilChickCoop, Oct 26, 2010.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have a crowing hen.... from all of the reading I have done here, it seems as if people are successful with the addition of hormones. I am not sure this is the route I want to take, but would at least like to know my options....Where do you get them? Do they really work? Should I just live with it?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Hormones are generally not used in the poultry industry. When folks talk about adding hormones to a flock I think they might be referring to getting a rooster. I have never heard of treating a crowing hen with hormones. It likely would not work because the crowing is a dominance thing and not a hormonal thing. I think you may just have to get used to the crowing hen.

Good luck.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    If you get a real rooster she will not crow.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Gee, there's one I've never heard of...giving hormones to a hen. Where did you hear or read about that?

5. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I wish I could get a rooster... alas, I am running on the DL with the hens. I guess we will just put up with it- it's not that bad really. About 7-8 times each morning, she crows. Not quite as loud as a real rooster, but she does have quite the set of lungs on her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by