Chicken house "curb appeal"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 3chimama, May 23, 2010.

1. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would like to make my chicken house look more "homey" on the outside. I love the look of country gardens. Any suggestions or pics to share??

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Shiplap siding, molding around the windows (painted white), window boxes with silk flowers in them, shrubs, etc. Check the coop pages. There are some really cute coops there. They should give you some ideas.

3. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I second the window box idea, would look really nice with vinca vines or Ivy draping over the edge of the box. I also put rocks around the base of my coop, the kind the foundation of old houses are made of, looks very "country". Also shutters if you have a window?

My coop is painted the same color of my house so everything matches, I live in a 110 year old cottage, and I love the cottagey/country look. Any pics of yours?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I LOVE the coops with window boxes!! The shrubs I planted will get about three feet tall eventually, so I didn't do window boxes. Landscaping makes them look more like "little houses." Tiny shutters would be adorable on a coop. I agree...look through the coop pages. Some are adorable.
    [​IMG]

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:That is really nice, but then you already knew that didn't you?

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:That is really nice, but then you already knew that didn't you?

Ummm...thank you I think rancher... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think it's "homey," which is what the OP was wanting suggestions for.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    How many chickens do you have. That is a lovely coop.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you for the suggestions....I do love the flower box idea and the rocks at the foundation as well...I will take a look at coop pages this evening for more ideas too....so appreciate your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by