1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken house question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Terry Allan Hall, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Terry Allan Hall

Terry Allan Hall Out Of The Brooder

Built a new chicken house and set it right next to the other one...hens lay eggs in new one but prefer to sleep in old one. packed like sardines...

Seems odd... [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Chickens are creatures of habit. If you want some of them to roost in the new house, you will probably have to close them up in it for a few days and not let them out. It might be better to just have brand new chickens roost in the new one! They're so funny, aren't they!? I've read of folks who have multiple laying boxes whose chickens all want to use the same one. They will actually stand in line and wait their turn! [​IMG]

But, seriously, if you read some of the posts about introducing new birds to your flock, you will probably run across the bit about closing them up in the coop for a few days so they will know that is their home. Best Wishes!

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    My chickens do wait in line to lay there eggs in one box it it crazy!! [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Actually I think you have a great problem... if they don't sleep in where they lay eggs you will always have clean eggs!!!

If I could just teach mine to stop sleeping in their nest boxes...[​IMG]

5. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    I am with Chripy. That don't sound like a bad problem. I wish all of my girls would roost but no they have to sleep i their nest boxes. So that means I have eggs to clean.
    Teach mine that too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by