chicken house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickfan, Oct 18, 2009.

1. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    We have just gotten a couple of heavy wooden storage units from a storage company going out of business. They are 5X8 feet, and 7 feet tall. Our plan is to add windows, and section off the insides as we see a need for, adding some nesting boxes, and generally fixing them up as chicken houses. They are completely predator proof. I walked into one earlier today, and realized that they are probably at least partly made of cedar.
    I know not to use cedar shavings for bedding for young chickens, but I am wondering if there would also be a danger in having their "house" made of cedar, to either the young or the old ones. We have 13 grown chickens, plus one duck and one guinea, and then have 17 younger chickens in a large cage. I was hoping to use one of the units just for the younger ones, for now, until they are a bit older and can join the others. It is time to get them out of the cage. But I don't want to take a risk, if indeed it would be a risk. I haven't been able to find the answer on the internet so far.
    The plan is to put a predator proof pen around the units, so the units don't have to be closed off during the night and the chickens can come and go at will. In south central Texas, we have very little really cold weather. And there will be enough windows to provide adequate ventilation. This should help cut down on the toxicity from the odor of the cedar, but I don't know if that would make a difference.
    I would appreciate hearing from anyone who might have the answer.
    Thank you!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm saying they'll be fine. Lucky you to get such a find.

ETA:

WELCOME TO BYC!

So happy you found us!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Ventilation will solve the problem. Fresh cedar shavings in a small box with baby chicks can be bad given they are down there right in the chips and cannot get away from the outgassing. No problem for what you are going to do. I would put linoleum down for the floor covering, but do not let chicks on that even with litter until they get about 10 weeks old. Use deep litter method. Make bump-outs for the nest boxes so you never need to be inside except to clean/change litter out twice a year..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by