Chicken housing

I put a heat lamp in my chick coop before I put the chicks in there at 4 1/2 weeks old, because temps were projected to fall into the 40s F.
20210614_193125.jpg

I use my heat lamp with a plug in dimmer to control temperature.
It dropped to 39 F three nights ago and 41 F two nights ago.
Last night it stayed in the 60s F. Heat lamp was off and temps tonight are staying in the 60s F. They are 5 1/2 weeks old now.
20210619_194230.jpg

GC

I put a heat lamp in my chick coop before I put the chicks in there at 4 1/2 weeks old, because temps were projected to fall into the 40s F. View attachment 2726237
I use my heat lamp with a plug in dimmer to control temperature.
It dropped to 39 F three nights ago and 41 F two nights ago.
Last night it stayed in the 60s F. Heat lamp was off and temps tonight are staying in the 60s F. They are 5 1/2 weeks old now. View attachment 2726244
GC
Thanks! I am thinking about putting them out Monday to get them used to the coop all week. The lows this week are going to be in the 50s and 2 nights in the mid 40s what do you think I should do?

Thanks! I am thinking about putting them out Monday to get them used to the coop all week. The lows this week are going to be in the 50s and 2 nights in the mid 40s what do you think I should do?
Your chicks will be 4 weeks old when you put them in the coop.
With low temps in the mid 40s I would have a heat source or bring them back inside on the cold nights.
Low temps in the 50s should be Ok with 4 weeks old chicks as long as they aren't Silkies or frizzle types and you have 5 or more that can huddle together. Otherwise I'd bring them inside or provide a heat source. GC

Your chicks will be 4 weeks old when you put them in the coop.
With low temps in the mid 40s I would have a heat source or bring them back inside on the cold nights.
Low temps in the 50s should be Ok with 4 weeks old chicks as long as they aren't Silkies or frizzle types and you have 5 or more that can huddle together. Otherwise I'd bring them inside or provide a heat source. GC
Ok I have twelve chickens and I will put a heat source out there for the four nights it is going to be in the 40. At what age outside do you think you can shut the heat lamp off for good?

Ok I have twelve chickens and I will put a heat source out there for the four nights it is going to be in the 40. At what age outside do you think you can shut the heat lamp off for good?
Twelve 6 weeks old chicks should be fine with overnight temps in the 50s without a draft.
I highly recommend a Plug-in dimmer with a 250 watt bulb especially if your coop is small.
It will overheat a small coop.
20210620_082924_resized.jpg

I use this one, also available at my local Wal-Mart.
My chicks coop is 22.5 square feet, 4.5 feet high and I only had my dimmer at half power to keep coop in the 50s at the opposite end of the coop away from the heat lamp. GC

Twelve 6 weeks old chicks should be fine with overnight temps in the 50s without a draft.
I highly recommend a Plug-in dimmer with a 250 watt bulb especially if your coop is small.
It will overheat a small coop.View attachment 2726618
I use this one, also available at my local Wal-Mart.
My chicks coop is 22.5 square feet, 4.5 feet high and I only had my dimmer at half power to keep coop in the 50s at the opposite end of the coop away from the heat lamp. GC
Ok my coop is 4x8 and 3 feet tall. I will consider getting a dimmer. I have two small side windows at the top of each side if I open those do you think you’d keep the thing cool also

Ok my coop is 4x8 and 3 feet tall. I will consider getting a dimmer. I have two small side windows at the top of each side if I open those do you think you’d keep the thing cool also
Not inside a coop 3 feet tall.
Figure the heat lamp hangs about a foot from ceiling. I bet you could melt marshmallows 6 inches from the floor with a 250 watt heat lamp at full power.
If you can't get a dimmer switch, i would use a 100 watt incandescent bulb or a 72 watt halogen bulb.
20210620_144343.jpg

Or a 53 watt halogen like this.
20210620_151606.jpg

A Red bulb is preferred, but not necessary. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom