Chicken hurt eye :(

ByeEyed

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
My Easter Egger bantam (~10 weeks old) has injured her eye. I let them out to range (supervised) and she was fine. I just looked again and she has one eye shut and swollen with copious water draining out of ot. She continuously shakes her head and rubs/scratches at it. I have put a picture of it below.

Her behavior otherwise is normal and I think she may have gotten pecked or got some grit in it. What are some things I can do to help her? I thought about trying to flush with lukewarm water but am not sure if this is right thing to do. She is in distress/miserable with it and I am trying to get her stabilized until I can call my vet tomorrow.

What can I do and thank you in advance!

Yeah I feel so bad for Esther :-( she really is unhappy but I've been dripping warm water down the side of her face over the eye area. She has opened her eye a few times and the eye itself looks clear and normal. When I tried to wipe her eye area, she gave a painful cheep and pecked at me which is NOT like her.

So if I drip some contact solution over her eye area, that'll be okay? Should I try and keep her separated from other girls until I get her to a vet tomorrow?

Yeah I feel so bad for Esther :-( she really is unhappy but I've been dripping warm water down the side of her face over the eye area. She has opened her eye a few times and the eye itself looks clear and normal. When I tried to wipe her eye area, she gave a painful cheep and pecked at me which is NOT like her.

So if I drip some contact solution over her eye area, that'll be okay? Should I try and keep her separated from other girls until I get her to a vet tomorrow?

Yes, definitely seperate her so the other chicks cant cause more damage. I would assume contact solution to be fine becsuse it's what humans flush their eyes with. People don't normally put tap water in their eyes because of the bacteria and minerals in it. So saline or contact solution is better. And her actual eye is completely fine? That's odd, hopefully the vet can figure it out and make her more comfortable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom