Chicken hurt foot

Isaac13579

Hatching
Jul 3, 2020
About 2 weeks ago my 5 month old chicken hurt her leg, I don’t know how but I found her limping around. Since then I’ve isolated her from the other, been giving her aspirin, and spraying her leg with anti septic spray. However she does not seem to be getting better she stopped laying her eggs, hasn’t been moving, and is loosing the features on her chest. Is there anything i can do to help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 29
About 2 weeks ago my 5 month old chicken hurt her leg, I don’t know how but I found her limping around. Since then I’ve isolated her from the other, been giving her aspirin, and spraying her leg with anti septic spray. However she does not seem to be getting better she stopped laying her eggs, hasn’t been moving, and is loosing the features on her chest. Is there anything i can do to help?
How long have you been giving her aspirin?
What do you feed?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

You are spraying her leg with antiseptic spray, can you get a photo of the wounds/injury on her leg?

How long have you been giving her aspirin?
What do you feed?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

You are spraying her leg with antiseptic spray, can you get a photo of the wounds/injury on her leg?
Aspirin for a little over a week. I give her layer feed, and I don’t know if she’s vaccinated, I bought her at tractor supply.

More pictures of it

Attachments

• A6DA6998-FB90-4733-82AB-B196A2A719BE.jpeg
    A6DA6998-FB90-4733-82AB-B196A2A719BE.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 01E250C0-6A1B-40DC-87B1-710AF80BE481.jpeg
    01E250C0-6A1B-40DC-87B1-710AF80BE481.jpeg
    172.6 KB · Views: 15
  • B4454D47-762A-489D-89E1-CC7CFE2D9CCF.jpeg
    B4454D47-762A-489D-89E1-CC7CFE2D9CCF.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 15
If I'm not mistaken, looks like she has bumble foot coming on.. Hot epsom salt soaks should help draw out infection. I've got a roo with slightly swollen footpads as well, nothing super defined showing bumble foot, but he's getting epsom salts soaks (He loves that, plus having his sore foot massaged while soaking.. I'm also giving him Colloidal Silver to him him fight off infection. Oh, I'm also putting frankencese oil in the epsom salts water to help kill bacteria.

So she really doesn't have any open wounds on the legs, you are just apply an anti-septic?

I think I would provide her with 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily for 5-7 days and give her extra protein like egg, fish, meat or supplement her layer feed with chick starter.

To me it looks like she's lost the use of her legs - it could be from injury, but with her age it may be disease like Marek's. She's pretty young, but a reproductive disorder could possibly be involved, but would be hard to know unless you lost her and either sent the body to your state lab or performed your own necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom