*Chicken hutch!*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tripp16, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so Im thinking abotu building a chicken hutch ( like a rabbit hutch except with a roost, nesting box etc.) I was wondering if anyone had any plans they could share or advice or even better pictures! [​IMG]

I just would like to have something to go by while building it..... [​IMG]

Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have any plans, but I have seen a chicken hutch at my farm store! In fact, it looks exactly like the rabbit hutch except with the boxes. Atwoods has them, maybe you can take a look at them and get the general idea to build one?

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks Ill check them out! [​IMG]

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I have a rabbit hutch that my dad used to raise meat rabbits in, he quite, but decided to keep it, so I used it for my pet bunny for yrs, before he passed away. Now I use it as a brooder sometimes, I also hold any broody hens, or to separate my roos, it becomes a hospital when a bird is sick, and I use it as my breeding pen for my trio of call ducks. All in all it is a very useful pen that I am really lucky to have. Originally it was a four room rabbit hutch, but I cut some wire out of each divider wall and I flip it up when I want the birds to have accuse to each room or flip it shut when I don't want them to be separate. The hutch has built in feeders so I just use them, but I have to put the chicken waterers in their which is kind of annoying. I have moveable nest boxes that fit in the hutch nicely and for roosts I just stick the sticks through the wire on one side and through to the wire on the opposite side.
    Here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Wow! You are very lucky to have that! I am thinking of making something similar to that just to keep my two little banties in. Hopefully it will work out. Thanks for the advice/pics. [​IMG]

6. Hawkeye95

Here is a cute coop that has great instructions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=58594

Have
    you checked out the Small Coop section on the Home page? I am not using plans, I simply found the coop (actually a couple I am combining ideas from) and just building off of their pictures and the materials they said they used. So far, so good. But I have only gotten as far as building the base/floor. ha! I have a ways to go. But the pictures on here are VERY descriptive and I think you could just find a really small coop that might fit the idea you have in mind!

7. Hawkeye95

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by