chicken ideas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mote36, Feb 25, 2014.

1. mote36

mote36 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    I've been doing a lot of research on chickens and am planning on getting a few and giving it a shot. Ive had turkeys in the past and can't see it being too much differnet. However with all the different breeds I just doing know what to choose I'm mainly going for egg layers that are calm and friendly, not broody and very cold hardy since I'm from PA. I was looking at leghorns but seen they were flighty, Rhode island reds and red, then red/black/gold sex links and seen they're not food free range same with production reds. I'm kind of stuck on what to choose. What would you all suggest and why?

I'm.hoping to be able to let them out of the coop and run to free range in the day time depending on predators.

Also meat chickens is there that much of a difference between a jumbo cornish/ Cornish and a jersey giant? Or is there another type that's better?

Im a complete rookie, and any helps appreciated. Sorry if I posted in wrong section

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I suggest you get 3 of every breed you want. They really do flock to their own feather type. I have pure breed RIR's, production RIR's and sex links as part of my flock and they free range better then some of my other breeds. Sex links are the best way to make sure you have all girls. For meat it depends on how long you want to feed them. I get cornish rocks to raise for meat and cull in 6-8 weeks of having them. I also have some Jersey Giants for their duel purpose. I find it harder to cull the duel purpose birds because they are with me longer and I learn their personalities. Duel purpose breed roosters have a taste I don't like after they mature, it is an acquired taste (manly hormones). Also, you have to rest any bird that is over 1 year old when culled so it is not tough. (resting= leave in bag in fridge for 24 to 48 hours so it won't be tough) Don't think you can raise your own chicken for meat then be able to go back and eat store bought chicken again! The store bought now tastes soggy, oily, and mushy compared to my home grown. I used to eat store bought all the time, now I can't stand it and I didn't even know it tasted bad before.

3. shellie2613

shellie2613 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    SE Kansas
    So Is It Only The Roosters That NeedToRest OR Do The Hens AlSo Need To RestInTheFridge;If TheyAre Older ThanOne Year?
    a

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I rest them all. The point of resting is to let rigor set in and pass. Once it passes the meat will be really tender. If you don't want to rest you could always cook them in a pressure cooker, crock pot, or can them. I also like to can some for quick lunch options. The different flavor is only in older roosters, the closer to the "teenage" (6-18 months old) age they are the more they have that taste. The flavor fades as they get older and their manly hormones reduce.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by