chicken identification

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carld1121, Jan 6, 2015.

1. carld1121

carld1121 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    any good ideas on how to identify different generations. ive thought of some sort of color coded system but can't figure out what to use?

2. backyardjack

backyardjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    England
    I have read and plan on using different color zip ties/cable ties around the leg but you will just have to make sure they are not too tight or too loose! :) hope this helps, Jack

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I think a lot of breeders toe punch, but you can also use various combinations of leg bands (spiral bands, zip ties, etc.).

4. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Zip ties have been working great for us for years. Depending how young the chicks are when they receive the band you will need to replace it as they grow.

5. carld1121

carld1121 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    i dont think i even wanna know what toe punching is but where do you get your zip ties?

6. backyardjack

backyardjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    England
    I got mine off of ebay they quite cheap, they were about 2 or 3 pounds for 200 but they are little ones because I wanted to put them on my baby chicks! I dont if that helps because i'm in the uk but I just thought I would say :)

7. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    I use colored spiral bands. One color is for the year born. As soon as I can tell, I add blue for boys, all others are girls. I do cull all but 2 of my boys. Any girl that exhibits a trait I'm selecting for, first to lay, largest, broodiness, best color... get's the addition of a green legband granting her breeding privileges. Any girl exhibiting a trait i do not want in my flock, feathered feet, poor conformation, poor laying record... gets an orange leg band showing that her eggs are not to be hatched though she remains as a layer. I will have to move to numbered leg bands for the breeders soon as i am developing 2 families in my flock so i can outcross with in the same flock. And without some way to differentiate the 2 families I could end up with inbreeding.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you know what works really well and won't cause problems as the chicks legs grow? Nail polish. It comes in every darned color under the sun and it last quite a while. I was using plastic hair bands, but they would work down onto the toes sometimes, causing a real problem.

I have five Welsummers that are so identical I still have trouble telling them apart. I needed to be able to know which one has the injured feet so I don't have to catch and inspect all five every time I want to check on the progress of her healing. So I painted little bands of color on the leg just above the foot on three of them that don't have any real distinguishing features.

Granted, it probably wouldn't be an efficient method when you have two dozen chicks or more, but for five or six, you can't beat nail polish.

9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    That is a great idea, the nail polish

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    And so many colors to choose from! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by