Chicken Ill! Don't want to lose her.. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Daisy668, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Daisy668

Daisy668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Hi,
    I've been told to give my chicken some electrolytes.. I've got some human electrolytes for when you have diarrhoea but i don't know how much water to mix it with to make it ok to give to my chicken. It says to mix one sachet with 200ml of water but i don't know how to do it for a chicken. She is only small.
    She has been ill and i put about her being ill on here and she has chicken lice and i have dusted her down with some mite powder but i've been told to give her some electrolytes for a quicker recovery. She is extremley thin and not eating much and sometimes can't even stand up and she has diarrhoea. I'm scared of losing her please any ideas are welcome. [​IMG]
    Thanks. Daisy. xx

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    "Human electrolytes", assuming you mean pedialyte. I would give her that straight as her only water source to prevent rapid dehydration from loose stools. Also add protien to her diet. Best way for that is scrambled eggs. Best wished for a speedy recovery of your girl.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. Daisy668

Jul 25, 2011
    Its an electrolyte for infants. I didnt know chickens could eat there own eggs but i'll try her with some..
    Thanks Daisy. xx

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I've read on here that chickens, even small ones, can drink gatorade or pedialyte...so, I would have to assume that it would be fine to mix the human electrolytes as directed. With the diarrhea and weakness, could she have a cocci infection? I'm not extremely knowledgeable in these areas, yet, but I'm learning. How about some ground up oatmeal for the diarrhea...mixed with some yogurt? You could spoon feed her a little of that mixture.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in...good luck with your baby.

5. Daisy668

Jul 25, 2011
    I've tried her with yoghurt but i'll add some oatmeal. I thought it could be Cocci but she is still laying and there is no blood in her poo [​IMG]
    Thank you.
    Daisy. xx

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Ok, if it's for infants, then i would mix as directed. Yes, they will eat scambled eggs, just don't give them raw eggs.

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Alot of people on here never see the blood in the poo until it is too late to save them. If you have corrid available, maybe treat first and see what happens? Not sure that it would hurt and it just might save your baby [​IMG]

8. Daisy668

Jul 25, 2011
    Ok. thank you.. Carrlr and leadwolf1
    Daisy. xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by