Chicken ill, poop looks weird *pictures*

Mk_lanch

Songster
6 Years
Sep 20, 2017
I have a legbar x poland hen who is around 3 years old. Today she has been hunched at the back of the coop and not her normal self.
I have brought her inside and her poop doesn't look right.
Yesterday my daughter dropped her when helping to put them in at night as she tripped over one of my other chickens. I didnt see her fall so am not sure how she landed.
I will add that her mother and sister both had problems with their egg laying and both died young from problems with this. I really hope she will be fine as she's normally a very robust chicken.
I have attached he'd the pictures

Attachments

• 20220506_165801.jpg
    20220506_165801.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220506_165751.jpg
    20220506_165751.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220506_165749.jpg
    20220506_165749.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220506_165801.jpg
    20220506_165801.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220506_165759.jpg
    20220506_165759.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220506_165751.jpg
    20220506_165751.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220506_165749.jpg
    20220506_165749.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 2
Is she eating? Usually when you see poop like that it's because they aren't eating (which is a common symptom for so many problems) --- How is her crop? If the crop is empty, she's not eating. If the crop feels full, it's likely very full and she's not emptying. If it feels full, you may be looking at an impacted or sour crop. Just one more thing to check for.

On the potential egg-bound issue - Have you palpated to see if you can feel an egg that isn't coming out? Is there any discharge around her vent that may hint that she's had an egg break internally?

Is she eating? Usually when you see poop like that it's because they aren't eating (which is a common symptom for so many problems) --- How is her crop? If the crop is empty, she's not eating. If the crop feels full, it's likely very full and she's not emptying. If it feels full, you may be looking at an impacted or sour crop. Just one more thing to check for.

On the potential egg-bound issue - Have you palpated to see if you can feel an egg that isn't coming out? Is there any discharge around her vent that may hint that she's had an egg break internally?

ive been giving her vit boost with added crushed garlic, ginger also it has chopped thyme, rosemary and sage in it. she wasn't drinking so i was dropping it into her beak. she rested for about and hour and now she is up on her feet and chatting a little. she has groomed herself and jumped on my leg and has eaten a little bit of food.
her crop was empty before but she has a little bit in there now.
fingers crossed that she will be fine in the morning and i can return her to the coop.
i'm thinking perhaps she was sore from where my daughter dropped her?

ive been giving her vit boost with added crushed garlic, ginger also it has chopped thyme, rosemary and sage in it. she wasn't drinking so i was dropping it into her beak. she rested for about and hour and now she is up on her feet and chatting a little. she has groomed herself and jumped on my leg and has eaten a little bit of food.
her crop was empty before but she has a little bit in there now.
fingers crossed that she will be fine in the morning and i can return her to the coop.
i'm thinking perhaps she was sore from where my daughter dropped her?

I would give her the option of plain fresh drinking water. I would do the vitamin boost by dropper, and leave it up to her if she wants to peck at the herbs. Here's a good read:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-help-sick-chicken/

Glad to hear she wanted some food- and that the crop is empty, so not a sour/impacted crop issue. But the poop shows she hasn't been eating like she usually would.

Are you able to feel around and see if there is an egg stuck? Age 3 is kind of prime territory for things to start going wrong in the laying department. I may have missed it in your original post, but how long since she laid her last egg?

As for whether it's related to being dropped- without knowing how she landed and how hard of a landing it was, or if anything landed on her - if it was falling just from arms down to the ground at walking speed, probably not. You can always try crushing some baby aspirin over whatever she will eat if you suspect she's in pain.

Scrambled eggs can be a good food to try and it's pretty easy to mash aspirin into that. Most hens love them, but I've had a few that turn up their beaks. Watermelon is another good way to hide medicine- and it's got lots of moisture.

I would give her the option of plain fresh drinking water. I would do the vitamin boost by dropper, and leave it up to her if she wants to peck at the herbs. Here's a good read:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-help-sick-chicken/

Glad to hear she wanted some food- and that the crop is empty, so not a sour/impacted crop issue. But the poop shows she hasn't been eating like she usually would.

Are you able to feel around and see if there is an egg stuck? Age 3 is kind of prime territory for things to start going wrong in the laying department. I may have missed it in your original post, but how long since she laid her last egg?

As for whether it's related to being dropped- without knowing how she landed and how hard of a landing it was, or if anything landed on her - if it was falling just from arms down to the ground at walking speed, probably not. You can always try crushing some baby aspirin over whatever she will eat if you suspect she's in pain.

Scrambled eggs can be a good food to try and it's pretty easy to mash aspirin into that. Most hens love them, but I've had a few that turn up their beaks. Watermelon is another good way to hide medicine- and it's got lots of moisture.
I can't see an egg stuck.
She is alot more aleet this morning and has eaten a little bit more.
She has never been a good layer and her egg laying is random. I think my last egg from her would have been 6-7 days ago

I can't see an egg stuck.
She is alot more aleet this morning and has eaten a little bit more.
She has never been a good layer and her egg laying is random. I think my last egg from her would have been 6-7 days ago

Happy to hear she's shown some improvement, hopefully she keeps going that direction.

Back
Top Bottom