1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken illness

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by themomathome, Oct 25, 2011.

1. themomathome

themomathome New Egg

Oct 25, 2011
    Hi. My name is Kathy and my family and I are recent (5 months) owners of chickens: 3 Barred Rocks, 3 R.I. Reds, 1 Dorking, 1 Golden Lace Wyandotte and 1 Ameraucana. All are well except the Ameraucana. Yesterday she started acting odd - keeping to herself, tail down, droopy. There are feces in the coop that are runny, with what looks like white and yellow mucus and pink lumps in it. Since the others are active and acting normal, we are assuming that these belong to her. We thought as she is at an age to start laying, that she might be egg-bound, so we took her out last night and gave her a warm bath for about 1/2 hour. She seemed relaxed and comfortable there. After making sure that she was thoroughly dry, we put her back in with the others. There were 2 beige,soft-shelled broken eggs in the coop this morning, but I think that they might be the early attempts by the 5 month old Barred Rocks as the R.I. Reds have been laying for the past week; their eggs have been fine. We've seen no evidence of blue or green tinted eggs anywhere in the coop or in the grass of their run.
    If anyone has any suggestions or advice, we would be most grateful.
    Thank you.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
  3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Try the search option with the key words of the illness. Hope they get better.
    [​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. kjpuggles3

kjpuggles3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    [​IMG] im soo sorry about your chicken. Im even newer than you are (two days) so im no help in the "how to fix my chicken" part, but if you post a topic under the Emergencies, illnesses, etc. department you might have better luck! [​IMG] Good luck with you eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Glad you are here, I am sure you can find some good advice, good luck.

10. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and welcome to BYC [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by