Chicken in a new environment question...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rocc, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Rocc

Rocc Hatching

Jul 28, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Hi all,

Just got my 4 girls yesterday!! Dropped them off at the coop last night, and three of them seem to be adjusting rather well. One however seems to be pacing back and forth along the chicken wire in the run.

Prior to coming here, they were more or less free range chickens. Should I be worried about this, or will she chill out in a day or so?

Any / all help is appreciated! Thanks!

-Brian

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] She will adapt. Chickens are creatures of habit and hate change. If they were laying, they will probably stop for a couple of weeks. Any eggs already on the "production line" will be laid then they will take a break. Enjoy them!

3. Lespaul0738

Lespaul0738 In the Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    thats how 2 hens i got saterday is, but there just fine i belive, one is laying a little, but slowing down, and the other has stoped, but i think they will be fine also

4. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Do you know about chicken wire, and how it isn't predator secure?

Welcome to the forum!

5. Rocc

Rocc Hatching

Jul 28, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    Quote:Yep.. it's more to keep them in, and the local stray cats out. At night when the fox / raccoons / opossums come out, they are in lockdown in the coop.

Thanks for the info all, I'll give it a week and see how things are moving along.

6. BittyBanty

BittyBanty In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    One of my two girls does that same pacing thing and has been doing it for over a month now. I don't think she will ever stop. I'm sad for her but she is safer inside the run until I get home and it is free range time. She lays fine, eats fine, just paces a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: