Chicken in a tree.

ana2707

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2015
I'm so scared and sad. One of my chickens didn't go up in the coop tonight, she decided to go in the tree which I knew chickens do but mine haven't before. I tried to get her out and she flew to another tree and now I can't see her. I'm sure she's not far but what are the chances she will be in my yard in the morning?

If no one finds her during the night she will be there, I can't give you odds, if you can get her back tomorrow I would suggest clipping one wing so she can't fly that high. Good luck to you and your chicken and hope to hear she's okay.

She WILL be in your yard IF it's not taken by a predator(owls for example or a racoon), however the next day monitor her at bed time and make sure she's in the coop before dark, because the such behavior can get worse when other chickens join her, it's addictive to chickens so don't take chances and make sure tomorrow she's locked up is the coop by not allowing her in trees and luring her to the henhouse. As for the reasons behind such behaviour is basically instinct telling her up in a tree is "safe". So it's just a natural thing that shouldn't be tolerated for the sake of everyone!

Thank you both for your replys. I just couldn't stand the thought of her alone out the coop all night being that none of my chcikesn have done that before. I went out again and looked and looked and looked.... I FOUND HER! My heart is so happy and now I will be able to sleep tonight. She is safe and sound on the henhouse. It's strange though because as I was walking through woods I found her on the ground under some branches? I guess maybe trying to get her out of the tree scared her and she went down... Idk but she's home:)

If no one finds her during the night she will be there, I can't give you odds, if you can get her back tomorrow I would suggest clipping one wing so she can't fly that high. Good luck to you and your chicken and hope to hear she's okay.

I've been told about clipping wings, I don't know how to do it but does it hurt them?

It doesn't hurt them at all, by clipping wings it's meant to clip the flight feathers of the wings, which are made of carotene like fingernails, and not the actual flesh amd bone wings... Many tutorials explain how to do it, be it here on BYC or YouTube or google... However if the tree or bush she was climbing is short enough she can hop from branch to branch even with clipped wings. Though I wouldn't recommend clipping the wings unless you wamt to keep the confined in a run/backyard. Because wings come in handy for chickens while roosting in the coop, coming down in the morning, and even help them avoid predators. But if this hen is persistent and the tree has no accessible low branches, it wouldn't hurt her to clip wings! So happy she's safe and back home!

I've been told about clipping wings, I don't know how to do it but does it hurt them?
Hi! Clipping wings doesn't hurt them at all, however, if they free range, they wouldn't be able to fly out of the range of predators. Here's a pic on where you cut. One wing should do. I had 3 EE's that "flew the coop" often. It wasn't safe for them, so I did clip them. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I do let them free range occasionally but not very often, mostly when I'm able to supervise them because I am afraid of predators but today was so nice compared to the cold weather, I let them stay out and wasn't home by dark... I doubt I will clip her wings because they are just so beautiful but I'll have to be more careful of when I decide to let them free range. I really appreciate everyone's replys! It really means a lot to me, if I talk about my chickens to non-chicken lovers I sometimes get some crazy looks lol:)

Last edited:

One of the white ones was the one in the woods... They other one would have really missed her, they are always attached at the hip, literally, as you can tell in the picture lol. Also I was told the 3 black chickens were bantams and now that they are grown I don't seem to think they are....

Back
Top Bottom