chicken in Canada

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bentech, Feb 25, 2013.

1. bentech

bentech Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Hello everyones !!

I'm new to the world of raising chicken !! My name is Ben and i live near Montreal in canada just across the U.S border !!
    I'm planing to built my coop in the next fews weeks as soon as the snow will start melting. I'd like to have only 2 chickens because
    i dont need that much eggs and i dont have a very big backyard too !!! I have a fews things that i'm worried about, whats happen when its time to feed, give water to chickens and cleen the coop during the winter ?? During the month of january and febuary, theres alot of snow and cold weather (-20 F) Can i clean the coop only once or twices during these 2 months ?? Can i use a food and water feeder ??

Can i chicken can jump over a 5 feets fence ?? I have 2 neighbors on each sides and a big park in the back of my house, my backyard have a 5 foot fences all around and i dont want my chicken jump over the fence and get lost in the park or land in the pool of my neighbors.

I also have 2 little dog (pug) they are very good dog but they will proably want to play with the chicken. Is there some problems that can happen with little dog and chicken in the same backyard ???

Thanks for helping !!

Heres picture of my backyard, and the style of coop i want to build, its easier to give opinions when we see pictures !!
    P.S: sorry for my english, this is not my first language as its french speaking around here !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Bien accueillir, Ben.
    A couple things. You will eat more eggs than you currently do when you have delicious fresh eggs in your own backyard. For eggs, 2 hens per family member should be a minimum.
    Chickens are social animals and absolutely need a flock. Sometimes chickens die or are killed by predators and you have to add more so it's better to start with more.
    Dogs are predators of chickens but a small slow dog is usually not a problem.
    If you use deep litter in the coop and don't have too many birds, you can easily go 4 months without cleaning.
    The biggest issue in winter is keeping the water thawed. Best to use a heated waterer, or a bird bath heater or else you will have to carry water to them a few times a day.
    Most heavy dual purpose breeds won't try to fly over a 5 ft. fence.
    I did have a Jersey Giant that would fly out but that is because she knew the tomatos in the garden were on the other side.
    It helps if they don't have anything to perch on at the top of the fence. They usually fly up, perch, rest and then fly down to the other side.

You might want to go with a breed like Chanteclers with those temperatures.
    Bonne chance.

1 person likes this.
  3. bentech

Feb 25, 2013
    thanks !! I dont know what type of breed i will have but i will ask the guys when i go pick my chicken !!
    I will use a fish tank heater to prevent water from freezing

Is there any danger that my chicken jump in the pool and drown ???

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. I think having 3 chickens may be better, as they are happiest in at least trios. Buff Orphingtons are very docile, don't mind the cold, and lay in winter, but they only lay about every other day.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Baby chicks can drown in a very small amount of water. Put stones in the water to prevent it or use a chick waterer.
    Adult chickens can swim but can't get out of a pool by themselves so will drown.

6. Eggsaggerate

Eggsaggerate New Egg

Feb 14, 2013
    Salut Bentech,

I am just up the road in Ottawa. I have kept chickens through a very cold winter. I had two waterers: one was in the coop, the other was in the house thawing. I would suggest either a heater or a couple of water tubs that can be emptied of ice easily.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I use a heated dog bowl to keep the water open. I don't practice a deep litter method, i just pick daily but that is a personal choice thing. You could always clip a wing if your finding they are getting to adventurous, mine have a dog run and fly up quite high so that is over 5ft but likely depends on the breed as said.

The feed should be fine, mine doesn't do anything in the winter, the key if using food outside is keeping it dry. I would definitely ensure you get a cold hardy breed, this will lesson your chances of frostbite and general health concerns with the birds. I also apply Vaseline on the birds combs in times of bitter cold to lesson the risk of frostbite.

here is an article out of hobby farms chicken magazine on winter tips...

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-winter-tips-for-your-flock.aspx

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  8. bentech

Feb 25, 2013
    Hey !!

Thanks everybody !!

I Can't wait to begin buiding my coop and go get some hens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by