Chicken in shock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RyleeandMax, Jun 24, 2019.

1. RyleeandMax

RyleeandMax In the Brooder

May 23, 2019
    Okay, I already posted a thread about how some of my girl were attacked and missing last night, but now I have another problem. I managed to find 2 of the hens that were missing. One of them was not touched(no wounds or cuts) but was EXTREMELY scared and sad. The other one did have a quarter or so sized wound just below her wing and she was clearly scared too. I put some wound ointment on her gash last night and left her to rest. She had been laying on her side and unable to move, meaning she can’t walk to the feeder or waterer. Her head is up and she seems fairly alert. The other one that wasn’t hurt, was doing okay last night and she was even roosting on one of the nesting boxes. But this morning she was dead. Could she have died of shock? I have 8 other hens that are okay but seem sad and scared. How do I help these hens that are in shock, and how do I treat the hurt one? Thank you

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

How is the one that is laying on her side? Can she move now?
    If she can't then you need to bring her in, examine her closely for more wounds and bruising.
    Try to get some fluids into her. Once she's drinking, then offer her a little wet feed or scrambled egg to eat.

Photos may be helpful as well.

3. RyleeandMax

May 23, 2019
    Sh
    She isn’t moving as far as walking, but she can move her legs and her head it lifted and she seems alert. I gave her some scrambled eggs and she ate almost a whole eggs worth. (Probably more if I would’ve allowed her too) she also ate a few mealworms(I thought the protein would be good) and some chick starter that I put with alittle bit of water. She didn’t have a problem eating and will drink a little bit of sugar water, but I have to be hand giving it to her. Other than not being able to move, she seems normal. I will post pictures tomorrow, I have just put them to bed for the night and don’t want to bother her again. I have also separated her from the rest of the girls so she won’t get picked or stepped on. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow morning so hopefully they will be able to help. Thank you for your thoughts!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad you will be seeing the vet. I hope all goes well, please keep us posted.

Sequel likes this.
  5. RyleeandMax

May 23, 2019
    Thank you !! I will defiantly tell you all how things go!

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. RyleeandMax

May 23, 2019
    Hello! A little update. I took my hen to the vet and we decided to euthanize her:(((( she was in worse condition today than she was yesterday and didn’t want to eat, drink, or even move. She was going to the bathroom in a spot where she would just be stuck laying in it. The vet said that we could’ve tried antibiotics but that there was probably a low chance of them working. Sad to let her go, but I’m glad she went without suffering. I’m thinking my others will make a full recovery... I got some antibiotics to help prevent infection in the ones that are slightly wounded. They should be okay though!

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Your first hen to pass probably had internal wounds. Shock is a slower killer more likely to cause dehydration.

Very sorry for your whole experience. Glad you were able to see the vet and have them help you. :hugs

Hope you and the others recover quickly! :fl

RyleeandMax and Wyorp Rock like this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss :hugs I'm glad you were able to consult a vet and they were able to help you make a hard decision. I hope that the others recover quickly.

RyleeandMax and EggSighted4Life like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: