Chicken in the Hood San Bernardino, CA.

cmechilln

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
Hello All,

I never thought this would happen to me. I minding my own business and heard a tapping on our back door. I asked my wife what is was and she shrieked there is a turkey at the back door. Here is our turkey that showed up.

106188_copya.jpg

After some serious pointing and laughing i went out and thought hmmmm.... Now what. I like the idea of having a pet chicken, my son absolutely loves it. He is laughing nonstop at the chicken.

We went to the feed store and got some poultry food. We have been locking the chicken up at night in a dog crate. I am so new to this. I have the yard space and my 3 year old son is more then happy about the new pet. My wife agreed that we could get some more.

I do have a few questions.

I have identified with limited knowledge an Indian Game hen. Is this correct?

I live in the city in San Bernardino, CA there are some predators near her, a few hawks, a possom, some skunks and a few cats. Do i really need to lock her up at night?

She trys getting into our house with us for an hour or so at night. WTH?!?! lol

I would like to stick with 6 chickens. I don't need alot of security as there aren't many predators. Which Coop design would best? I am pretty handy with wood and a screw gun. Temps get to low 30 a few times in the winter and 110 in summer.

Here she is with the dog. The dog is beside herself at what this this is running around the yard.

106188_copyb.jpg

Thanks for allowing me into such a knowledgeable community.

Welcome to byc!! No matter how many pretators you have, you should always make sure they have a safe coop. I put chicken wire on the top of mine because i am terrified of the hawks above. I lock them in their coop at night surrounded by a secure run. You should absolutely get more chickens asap. Chickens get lonely really quick, they are very social and need to have company!! My chickens adore each other!!

Hi KarenP, What a pretty dog. I love shelties.

Thanks for the advise. I will go to the feed store and see what they have .

Speaking of the feed store, The owner said that the chickens could take care of themselves. I think he meant hide. I just took it as he would sell more to the Newbie.

Did you build your own COOP or buy prefab?

Last edited:
We built one and i just bought one from ebay. The one we built is actually stronger than the one we bought. We are actually finishing the 2nd run tomorrow and i will be sure to post pics of the both of them for you. I will reply on this post so you don't have to search for it.

Just a warning!! This is a very addicting hobby. My son did an experiment and hatched one egg. Since this one egg, we have adopted 8 more and i will be going to get some this weekend. The reason for the 2nd coop is I have 3 roosters. Two of them grew up together and get along very well, the third came later and the older ones will not accept him and i don't want anyone to get injured. Most people would just get rid of two of the roosters because only one rooster is necessary per flock, but i love the rooster's personalities. So now i must get some more hens to accompany my roosters so the few hens i have do not get overbred. My family is beginning to think i'm crazy, but it's fun!

Thanks for the compliment on Jazzy, she's a great dog!! Here are a few pics of my flock. The black and white one is the one we hatched. He is a barred rock cochin mix.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Louisiana!! The need to be locked up at night, there unable to go and hide when there sleeping!! Have fun with your new addiction!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom