Chicken in the house??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick-a-roos, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    Not sure where to post this and I'm sure it sounds silly.

But, if you have a chicken in the house....how do you keep the poop cleaned up? Even when they are in a crate it is very messy. I have seen the chicken diapers but then I wonder how do you keep all the poop off the feathers? I have a sick rooster in the house right now and feel like I can't keep him or the crate clean.

Please help with any suggestions. [​IMG]

2. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I also have a rooster in the basement now. He is in a dog crate with wood shaving. It does get kicked around but I have him blocked in to keep the dog away from him. I spot clean and give him new bedding as needed.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I had a rooster in the house (because he was isolated from the pullets, it was cold and windy, and I felt sorry for him. [​IMG]

My crate is gigantic since I use it for St. Bernards. I put pine shavings in the bottom. I also put the flat side of a 2 x 4 on a couple of blocks (nailed down) and set it in the back so he could "roost" in there. It stayed incredibly clean. I'd have chickens in the house right now by DH would kick me to the curb!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The few times (though I wish it were more) I've had a chicken in the house, I just used newspapers wherever she or he went.

I don't think diapers would get poo on the feathers though, honestly. They hang enough that only an unhealthy chicken would get it messy, and really, it would be messy regardless. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by