Chicken incest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by itsajensen, Oct 24, 2015.

1. itsajensen

itsajensen New Egg

Oct 22, 2015
    This is probably a dumb question to ask, but does incest affect chickens?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    no, it does not.

Many breeders trying to get consistent traits, breed related birds together, father to daughter is a common relationship.

3. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    Not really. Only if they have been doing it for many generations. You will know if you start getting birth deformities more frequently. Incest is very common in the chicken business, its called inter breeding or line breeding.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  4. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    I use the terms (right it wrong - I heard it was this way) that line breeding is father/daughter or grandfather/granddaughter type ... In-breeding is brother/sister ... Not as healthy, and more likely to have the negative traits show up strongly!

Most hatcheries get their eggs from large breeders ... From - http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/breeding_the_home_flock/
    In part it says:
    So most chicks you get from a hatchery are sorta related, but not necessarily brother & sisters! As in the example above ... If you ordered 15 chicks ... They could all have different fathers & mothers, however ... They also could be some that have the same fathers and or mothers, but the flock is related, most likely cousins or second cousins ...

It is highly unlikely that only one cock bred with the single hen, and they collected her eggs, and kept them seperate, and sent you 15 chickens from only that one hen ... While multiple hens (even with the same cock) gives diversity (offspring are half - brother/sister) with using a larger number of breeders ... The possibilities are highly unlikely to have full brother and sister ... From the 1000 they hatch.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure if those terms are correct either...but the gist is correct.
    Parent-child breeding is common and unlikely to cause problems for several generations, just get a new unrelated cockbird every 3-4 years.
    But sibling breeding will cause problems much sooner and is avoided.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by