Chicken Incubation Big Mess Up Help!

Prophecyx1

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2016
Georgia
Hello, I have 8 chicken eggs 6 brown and 2 white, this morning I was supposed to turn them at 7am but my phone died and didn't wake me up, I woke up at 11am panicking and I turned them, an hour later i candled them and it look as though the embryo stuck to the shell, to fix it I upped the moisture and they unstuck and got in position. I kept turning them when I was supposed to 7am (Missed) 3pm 11pm. It is the 8th day of incubation, and they all look just fine, but it seems there is less activity and in one of my brown eggs I can barley see through it and I dont see an air cell, but their is an embryo? What does this mean?! Also in one of my white eggs there are veins and a good air sac but im not seeing the embryo like I could this morning? Does this mean that it has died?

welcome-byc.gif
One missed turning is not going to cause any problems. Relax, and good luck with your incubation.

x2. Honestly, I never turn my eggs at the same time each day. I get to them when I get to them. And, I've forgotten about them and skipped an entire day of turning (one of the reason I finally broke down and got an auto turner) and still had a great hatch rate. They'll be okay :)

Ditto PP. Relax! Broody hens have gotten separated from their nests for an entire day, and still had a good hatch. The very most important thing you can do is be sure your thermometers are calibrated, and that you are aware of any warm/cold spots in your bator. (Even with a fan, there may be some variation throughout the box) Don't get hung up on a specific turning schedule. I've yet to see a hen wearing a watch. Aim for 3x/day, spread out throughout the 24 hour period. If you sleep in, enjoy the sleep, just be sure to turn when you go to bed, and first thing in the morning. If I get up during the night to feed the wood stove, or for a bathroom break, I check temp and turn eggs. If I think about it and have an extra moment when I'm working in the kitchen, I turn them again, even if it's only been 4 hours since last turn. If I forget, I don't sweat it.

Back
Top Bottom