Chicken infection after wild dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jawhite83, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jawhite83

jawhite83 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Hi I am new to posting on this forum, even though I always search it for advice! Anyway, on Friday I was out all day. I usually let my chickens free range, I have never had a problem with predators before. I came home and noticed 5 of my chickens gone, the only evidence was piles of feathers, no blood, no carcasses. I found a 6th chook hiding away and noticed she had punture wounds, was covered in saliva and had heaps of feathers missing. She passed not long after :( Another 6 chickens lived, but one had been slightly attacked. She had blood under her wing but it didnt look too bad, I have been checking on her quite often. 2 days after the incident I went in to check her and she had a bright green colour under her wing. Any ideas what this could be and what I should do about it? I am worried its infected but I read it could also be bruising. How could I tell if it was gangrene? Since it was a wild dog I am worried she is ill, even though she is still acting quite normal (tonight she was even on the perch with the others instead of the laying boxes like she was the previous 2 nights)... Thanks so much for reading. I am devastated and at a loss at what to do.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Green skin is almost always bruising. Gangrene is rotting skin and is black and smells essentially rotten. If her skin is open, you can clean it with betadine or vetericyn, and apply antibiotic ointment without a painkiller. Below are some examples of green bruising. Sometimes betadine can cause a wound to turn green also.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jawhite83

jawhite83 New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Thanks for your reply, it looks very similar to that colour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by