Chicken injured by dog. New chicken owner needs advice. Thank you.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brettracie, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Brettracie

Brettracie New Egg

Oct 3, 2011
    Hi

My name is Tracie. I am new to this forum. We recently purchased several Blue Laced Red Wynadottes, Americaunas, Silkies and Polish. This is the first time we have had chickens.

On Saturday a neighbor's dog got into our yard and attacked several of our hens. It killed my favorite Americauna, and injured 3 others. It looks like 2 are mostly just in shock and we are keeping them in the house and warm. The third one, which is also in the house appears to be very injured. I need advice on whether we are prolonging her misery or if there is any hope. She is a Wynadotte, about 6 months old. She had blood on her but not a lot. She is hanging her neck upside down. I assume it's not broken as she is still alive. She will take water in small doses. Her poop is a bit runny and she is not going very often. I've given her pellets melted in water and she will drink a little of that. Her eyes are closed most of the time. She is still most of the time but moves occasionally. She doesn't seem able to support her head.

Like I said, we have very little experience with chickens. We are vegetarian and don't want to kill one, but if she is suffering needlessly we would put her out of her misery. Has anyone ever encountered an injury that resulted in these kinds of symptoms?

Thank you,

Tracie

PS We have the rest of the chickens secured from future attack.

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I'd give her vitamins for the neck issue... I think its called wry neck. But if its because of the dog, then I do not know. If there is a vet that you are willing to take her too, I'd do that. I have taken a chicken to the vet, and some people would say I am nuts for it, but I don't care. I'd do just to make sure what it is... I'd look up wry neck though too, cuz I do believe there are things you can do to help cure it. Also, don't try and make her neck strait, i understand that could do more damage.

try feeding her yogurts, scrambled eggs, mash... hope you figure it out... Good luck. Make the neighbor pay the vet bill.

3. umanduhbree

umanduhbree Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Lacona, IA
    I'm sorry to hear this. We lost 3 chickens to a neighbor dog. Thankfully, all we found was feathers so we didn't have to deal with such a tough choice. I wouldn't be able to offer advice without pictures, but if you have a vet nearby that will see a chicken, i.e. and exotic or country vet, then I would take it to them. They will let you know if it needs to be put down. When we had an injured chick, we were able to find a country vet to give us advice. I hope she makes it.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Sounds like her neck is indeed broken. I'm so sorry. If she seems to be pain free you might try a bit longer but I think that there is little hope. Sometimes, the best thing to do for our birds is to put our own squeamishness aside and help the pain end. Being vegitarian has nothing to do with this. The kill is not for your meal, it is for her comfort. If the time comes and you just cannot do it, a vet will, for a fee, do it for you. I'm sorry that you are facing this so soon in your chicken keeping experience, I hope that this problem won't come to you again for a very long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by