1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken injured in attack by other chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmh, Jan 28, 2011.

1. kmh

kmh New Egg

Jan 28, 2011
    I have two Dominique chickens. When I went out to the coop yesterday, the dominant one had attacked the other one. There was blood, and some of the chicken's comb and a small to medium chunck of where the beak meets the head was missing. I applied an antibiotic ointment to the injured areas and put her in a dog crate in our mudroom, with fresh food and water of course. I want to try to take care of the injuries myself if possible, as vets are so expensive.

Three questions: 1) how to care for the injured bird, 2) is it safe to put her back in the coop when she's better, or do I have to try to find another home for her? and 3) is it normal for a dominant hen to attack those under her -- what might have caused it? (they have been "cooped up" in recent weeks because we keep getting heavy snowfalls in the northeast, but have always had adequate supply of food and while the water does freeze, I change it often, so they have access to non-frozen water at least once a day)

Thank you so much for your help.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sounds like you are doing the right thing.
    Keeping her warm, isolating her and treating her injury-all good(make sure antibiotic ointment doesn't contain pain reliever). Just keep an eye out for infection.
    I would guess that the fact that they have been cooped up probably played a role in the attack-boredom can cause them to do stuff like that.
    As far as putting her back out with the others, make sure she is completely healed before she goes out. If your other Dominique continues to pick on her, I think I would rehome the aggressor, not the one getting attacked.
    Maybe try getting a flock block or hang a head of cabbage in your coop to help stave off boredom a bit-give them something to do.
    Good luck and hope all goes well for you and your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by