chicken injured please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by springhillnc, Feb 14, 2012.

1. springhillnc

springhillnc New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    I need some advice......my dog grabbed one of my "girls" (a chicken) she seems like her leg is hurt she doesnt want to put much pressure on it. There is no blood or bites on her I am concerned she cant stand on her own. What should I do? Is there anyway to tell if her leg is broke? Thank you

2. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I just had a hen with a broken leg also. I went out to Tractor Supply & bought Vetrap Self-Adhesive Bandaging Tape, for around $3. I confined her to an old, wooden brooder box from last spring. She was able to walk normally in about two weeks

The cage:

• Use pine shavings for bedding/ floor lining
    • Put in some hay for nest
    • Make sure the cage is out of the wind/rain/snow/etc.
    • Clean the cage once or twice a week depending on the mess

Here's how I did it
    1. Purchased the Vetrap, duh.
    2. Wrapped her leg. Start at the end of her leg feather and work your way down to her ankle. DO NOT wrap it too tight and not too loose.
    3. Confine her to a cage, by herself. With access to water and food. Leave the wrap on for a couple days and re-wrap it.
    4. Keep her confined until she can stand/ walk without any trouble.

***Note*** Make sure you take her out a couple times a week so she doesn't get too lonely. Keep her cage clean. Give her fresh food and water every day!!

Best of Luck & Keep Me Posted,
    Shannon [​IMG]

3. springhillnc

springhillnc New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    Thanks Shannon I will go in the morning she is resting in our garage ~ hope she makes it!!

4. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    Sounds good! Keep me posted!

-Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by