Chicken injuried by hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Embot07, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Embot07

Embot07 New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    I found one of my hens laying in the yard this morning and then saw a very large hawk fly away from the tree above her. I think we found her right after the attack because she was breathing but appeared in shock. She has blood in her eyes and a little in her mouth. We took her into the house to keep her warm. She keeps her turning her head to the right over and over. We have her water but haven't seen her drink yet. She finally appears to be sleeping but is there anything else we should be doing?? I feel terrible for her.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What wounds does she have?

3. Embot07

Embot07 New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    No visible ones. She lost some feathers and that's all I can see. I'm hoping it's not internal injuries, especially because of the blood in her eyes and mouth. She's seems comfortable and her head is facing forward more now.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When a hawk takes down a chicken (or any other prey) their talons will make punctures and they'll start trying to eat with their beaks.
    You have to go over the whole bird spreading feathers and find the wounds. Trust me they're there or she would be up running around.

5. Embot07

Embot07 New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    She only has a chunk taken out of her neck. Smaller than the size of a dime. I searched the rest of her, she's really out of it and makes small little noises when I move her around. I don't know what to do except leave her in the house and keep an eye on her. :(:(

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Keep her warm. (approx. 80F).
    Flush the wound withy saline solution.
    Then put betadine (iodine) in the wounds.
    If I think the bird is in pain, I'll use Campho-phenique, an antibiotic and pain reliever.
    Lastly, an eye type triple antibiotic ointment. The eye type melts at body temp so will seep deep into the wound.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  7. Embot07

Embot07 New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Thank you for the help!

8. Embot07

Embot07 New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Thank you for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by