Chicken injuries...........HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickieChick85, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ChickieChick85

ChickieChick85 New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    So I go out to my backyard, where my chickens are, to check for eggs. I notice that one of my chickens, Honey my Buff, is off by herself which is uncommon for her because she is always with the crowd. I go over to her to see what is going on and this is what I find!! I have no idea what is wrong with her and how to help her. PLEASE HELP WITH ANY ADVISE!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Is she able to close her beak at all? I'm trying to figure out what that is that appears to be poking down from the roof of her mouth? It looks like the lower beak is sticking out off to the side. Either injured somehow or maybe tried to swallow something crazy? I really don't know. You most likely need a vet to help you with this one.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Your chicken may have a condition called canker. It is treated with metronidazole, also known as Flagyl, and is sometimes sold as Fish Zole or General Cure in some pet shops. Dose is 250 mg daily for 5 days. Here is some info on canker so that you can decide if this fits:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/digestive-problems/index.aspx
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/154/trichomoniasis-canker-frounce
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Zole-250mg-Metronidazole-30ct-/111138148490

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  4. ChickieChick85

ChickieChick85 New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    That is her tongue sticking out up at the top. She can't close het mouth at all and after looking closer at her it looks like she may have severed her tongue, would that cause it to look like this? I have been treating her with antibiotics and giving her electrolytes. I don't know what else to do for her right now.

5. ChickieChick85

ChickieChick85 New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    I don't know if that is what's going on or not, her tongue looks like it is severed and it is all swollen underneath her tongue. This puzzles me, she was fine one day and the next day this is how I found her.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you tried to get the fishzole yet? Did you look at thepictures in the links? I would take her to a vet because this is an emergency--I doubt if she can eat or drink like that. The meds may shrink the growth in her beak if she gets it soon. Canker is contagious, if that is what she has for sure.

7. ChickieChick85

ChickieChick85 New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    I looked at the pictures and it doesn't look like that to me. Her tongue looks severed to me. The vet wouldn't see her, they have no spots open.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you determined for sure that her tongue has been severed? What was the object in her mouth as shown in picture? What does the inside of her mouth look like ie: wounds.blood,sores,black tissue,swelling,white/yellow lesions,etc.

Has she been able to eat/drink? Have you been giving her any antibiotics?

9. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Maybe she was stung or bitten by something? That would account for the sudden onset. IF that was the case fast acting anti-inflammatories like Cortisone or Prednisone would bring down the swelling quickly so she could eat/drink. But until there is a diagnosis any treatment is just a guess and a shot in the dark at this point.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there any way that you could take newer pictures of her face and beak today? Maybe someone could help hold her for you. Sorry that your vet won't help. Large animal vets might take a look--mine probably would, but vets usually don't have much experience with chickens unless they own them. Here is a good deal on fish zole: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fish-Zole-250mg-Metronidazole-30-60-capsules-/330974514221

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by