Chicken injury question????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rmstuck, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Rmstuck

Rmstuck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Ames,IA
    So I have been out of town for a few days and my wife has been taking care of my birds and today I came home and checked them all out and my buff orp felt funny on her breast. I flipped her over and I don't know if she stuck to the snow or what but there is a spot where her skin cam loose and ou can see the meat. She didn't act like anything was wrong still eating drinking and sitting out in the snow. I brought her in and put her in a dog kennel with food and water. Will she heel? Is there something I can do?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can apply Neosporin ointment - without the pain relief component - to the wound. Generally skin wounds in chickens heal quite readily. I am really curious as to what may have caused the injury. Wounds on the neck, side, or backs of hens are generally caused by clumsy, over zealous roosters, but on the breast?

3. Rmstuck

Rmstuck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2012
    Ames,IA
    No rooster. The dogs don't bother them nothing to cut her. The only thing I can think of is getting stuck to the ground or something. I don't know because I haven't been home and my wife doesn't pay much attention to them. It's low on the breast and she was wet when I picked her up which is how I noticed.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by