Chicken Injury : What am I looking at?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bnther, Jul 20, 2019.

1. bnther

bnther Chirping

Jul 6, 2016
    Something small got through the chicken wire (weasel maybe) and got to my bird's feet.
    And while the bird is happy and mobile now, there's a string hanging from it's injury and I've got a feeling it's not going to fall off.

Can someone identify the string?

Heads up though. It's not pretty :(

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Rats (certain species) are known for chewing off toes. Some rats just go for the chicken feed. I would cut the string off, and soak the feet in betadine or Epsom salts, and apply betadine or plain Neosporin (Triple Antibiotic Ointment) with a dressing on the foot daily to protect it from dirt and droppings until it heals. It might be good to confine to a wire dog crate with food and water, placed inside the coop with the other birds.

3. bnther

bnther Chirping

Jul 6, 2016
    Thanks for the reply.

This bird is recovering in a separate brooder for the time being. She's been trying to pull the string off herself, but it's definitely attached.

On the positive note, she's happy and jumping up on the perch everytime I walk through. I know if my foot looked like that I wouldn't be nearly so positive.

Amazing creatures!

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: