Buff Chicken dangling-laceration injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetzombie23

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
Hello all!
I’m new here. Today my chicken was injured unknown or a predator.
I need all the advice I can get. I feel lost. How would you treat, if this was your situation? Big b. Is eating drinking moving around. No vet takes chickens here strangely ( south Texas) I’ve gotten away with treated previously ( cat attack , Bumblefoot, enlarge belly) but this is big laceration! I put saline clean wound and damp with vetericyn and applied ointment. She contain in safe place. should I buy? Should I cut off? Comb is laceration it hangs down into her eyes.
B844D5B7-E17D-411E-9DC6-7755E27411D3.jpeg
A409D2E4-E75A-4F13-AD8B-74AA2381C9A3.jpeg
875051CC-4A4C-4031-907E-E6FBAD19BB27.jpeg
58AF22E6-B23D-48F5-81D4-7DD7C0771A05.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you have a generic crazy glue on hand? This can be repaired.

What you need to do is clean her wound well and outer area including the damaged comb. Use a ear swab or cotton pads to gently wipe off any dried blood or dirt off.

Then apply a thin layer of neosporin directly to the wound. Reattach the comb into place. Use the crazy glue, dab one spot then leave a small gap and repeat. It should resemble a stitch pattern all the way around the comb. Use a blowdry, no heat to dry the glue and also keep the fumes if any away from her.

You might need a second person to help you.

Chickens can heal remarkably well. Sometimes the injuries look more brutal than they are due to the amount of blood present. However if you can apply pressure to the bleeding area and offer some disinfectant/dressing, they should recover. Hopefully away form the rest of the flock as they would peck at that wound.

What you need to do is clean her wound well and outer area including the damaged comb. Use a ear swab or cotton pads to gently wipe off any dried blood or dirt off.

Then apply a thin layer of neosporin directly to the wound. Reattach the comb into place. Use the crazy glue, dab one spot then leave a small gap and repeat. It should resemble a stitch pattern all the way around the comb. Use a blowdry, no heat to dry the glue and also keep the fumes if any away from her.

Yes I have crazy glue but no second person

Yes I have crazy glue but no second person
By any chance do you have a dog and a full body harness? I've improvised having another set of hands by suspending my chicken in a dog harness. Otherwise you can always wrap their body up in a towel leaving their head exposed so that you can work on it. If using the towel method, make sure to keep the chicken on their side and not upside down as they cannot breathe.

I just realize the super glue is dried out !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom