Chicken Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarahcookhill, Jul 22, 2011.

1. sarahcookhill

sarahcookhill Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Hallettsville, TX
    Good evening all -

One of our chickens that is about four months old, I think, is getting pecked by the other larger hens. A few weeks ago, our Boxer Puppy got after her (we think it's a female chicken) and chewed quite a few of her tail feathers and some of her skin on her butt off. I doctored her with some dermatological spray and she got better and started regrowing feathers. Last weekend we noticed some of the older hens pecking at her butt and sometimes on her neck and I noticed two pin point size blood size on her butt. Someone told my husband that there is a green spray of some sort that you can spray on her that will help where the other chickens will not harass her. Does anyone know of this or know of any other good remedies to stop this from happening?

Thanks!
    Sarah Hill

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    He's probably talking about Blue Kote. It helps heal and protect from the other hens picking because it taste nasty. I would clean it first though before you spray on the blue kote.

3. sarahcookhill

May 16, 2011
    Hallettsville, TX
    Thanks for your reply! Can I buy this at the local feed store or does it have to be ordered online? Is it a spray? What would be the best way to clean the area, it's not bleeding or an open wound at this point.

4. sarahcookhill

May 16, 2011
    Hallettsville, TX
    We used to live in Round Rock before we moved further South. We lived in a neighborhood near where the outlet mall is.

5. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:All of the feed stores near me have Blu Kote, I've also seen other "no peck" type sprays that taste bad to deter pecking at the feed stores- so I think you'll be able to find something without having to order online. I'm about to get some Blu Kote myself for a similar problem. [​IMG]
    I hope it works for you and they stop pecking!

Edited to correct spelling... ugh. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    My local feed store had blue-Kote in 3 forms, an aerosol spray, and non-aerosol spray and a liquid with some type of swab, that you would spary on the animal. So you should be able to find it easily.

7. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Quote:I like it up here because I don't ever have to deal with traffic. Wish I could get out farther into the hill country though (that would mean more chickens lol) [​IMG]

I guess whether you have to clean it really depends on whether there is dirt and other material in the wound. If it's dirty you'd need to pour some warm water over it and try to get as much off as possible, gently pat it dry and wait for it be completely dry before you spray on the Blue Kote. If you can separate the bird from the rest of em so they can't peck it while it heals you could probably just put neosporin on it and forgo the Blue Kote.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  8. sarahcookhill

May 16, 2011
    Hallettsville, TX
    We definitely moved out to the sticks (um, I mean country [​IMG] We live 17 miles out of town! Round Rock area has gotten so much bigger in the last five years since we were there, hardly recognizable! Thanks for the tips on the cleaning and how to address this issue. Thanks for the quick responses from everyone, y'all are awesome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by