Chicken is congested

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Phiggy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Phiggy

Phiggy New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    I found one of my little chickens (about 4 months old) stuck in a water bucket with water up to her chest). I'm in NY and it's cold here but I had just put the water bucket out about 5 minutes earlier, so she couldn't have been in the water for longer than that. It's been about an hour since I lifted her out, brought her inside, and dried her off with a towel. She was wet and seemed a bit dazed, She's been sitting on the towel with her eyes open and looking around but she has not shown any interest in walking around and her breathing is very congested.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. Phiggy

Phiggy New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    Although I didn't hear back from anyone, I figured I'd report back that after about 90 minutes, she started to walk around and after exploring my kitchen for about 30 more minutes, during which time her congestion completely cleared up, she walked herself out the back door. We've been checking on her outside every now and then and all looks good.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Good thing you found her right away and realized she needed heat,good call!

4. Phiggy

Phiggy New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks ten chicks. Of course, it was me who put the bucket there in the first place :(
    I'm going to chalk this up to a lesson learned and just be happy with how it ended :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by