Chicken is Dead. What could it be?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by parksfamily08, Feb 5, 2014.

1. parksfamily08

parksfamily08 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    I brought a bird into the house that was hacking and coughing. Sounded just like the crappy cold stuff going around. She was sneezing and struggling to breathe. She was fine this afternoon. I gave her antibiotics from a syringe. Slowly, letting her drink it down. After that, I realized she had blood at the corners of her mouth. 5 min. later she was dead. She must have choked on the water, even though I let her drink it slowly. Is it likely she ate something she wasn't supposed to? I found some broken glass in the pen. (I've moved to a new house and my chickens are digging up all kinds of things I have to keep throwing away) And should I keep my other birds on antibiotics just in case? Thank you Not a happy bird mama. I only did what I thought was best trying to save her life.

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I would say its possible her heart exploded. You would have not caused this. The hacking and coughing can be heart related. I suspect that is what has happened. How old is she? Send her of for a Necropsy.

3. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Did she have any mucous from her nose and was there any bubbles in her eyes, or crusty?

4. parksfamily08

Oct 13, 2013
    She just turned 20 weeks. Buff orpington cross. Nothing is wrong with the other birds. The weather has been snowy and cold, but I've kept a heat lamp on them. I never thought of her heart exploding, but that could be why there was blood.

5. parksfamily08

Oct 13, 2013
    No mucous, or bubbly eye. That's why I thought it was the beginning of the cold. I've treated bubbly eye colds before.

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Some places do a necropsy for free. It would be worth doing. If your not able, opening her up is a good plan.

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I feel it was her heart, and so young. Sorry you lost her this way, it was fast.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  8. parksfamily08

Oct 13, 2013
    I am glad she died quickly so I didn't have to make a hard choice and she didn't have to suffer. When they are young, you really want to fight for them, but sometimes it's better that the pass.

9. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I agree.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by