Chicken is dying, rapid decline, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beachylivin, Nov 23, 2016.

1. beachylivin

beachylivin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    I posted on here four days ago about my chicken having what looked like a broken foot. We splinted her foot then took it off a day later. My chicken was not going in and out of the coop on her own. I provided her with fresh water and food. Yesterday she was very wobbly when I tried to get her to walk. She would lay down without trying to step. This evening I arrived home from work to find an unconscious chicken, and moments after moving her into a crate, she had a seizure. Husband will be culling her tonight. Any thoughts on what could have happened? She is 1.5 years old. My chickens free range all day long. I've heard of Mericks disease, but one cannot know for sure. I am waiting for a call back from the county epidemiologist on Tuesday to discuss whether there have been any reports of Mericks locally (san diego). I also just called my local feed store and they mentioned looking into Newcastle.
    The past couple of days she had her wings splayed out when I'd try to get her to walk but it just looked like she was trying to balance, not paralysis. But thinking back, it could have been. I am an animal keeper but birds are not my specialty. There are many scenarios running through my mind; impacted crop? was she not eating after I noticed her foot looked broken and is dying because of starvation? who knows

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks can cause a loss of balance, problems walking, and starving. I think it would be a good idea to get a free necropsy that is available to CA residents. There is a good thread to enter in the search box at the top of this page called "how to send a bird for a necropsy," which gives contact info and shipping advice. Sorry for your loss.

3. beachylivin

beachylivin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2013
    Thank you, I deal with necropsies for work often. If only tomorrow wasn't thanksgiving... I am going out of town so I do not want my chicken in the refrigerator. I called my vet that treats my animals at work and he's out of town until next week. He's an exotic vet so this is just bad timing. In the future I will definitely utilize sending in my bird for necropsy, thank you for the suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by