Chicken is dying

Polishchickenmom

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
Hello guys! I came upon a sick chicken yesterday. Found lice on her & im treating her for that. I am giving her iron, vitamins, And minerals. I noticed shes not eating but she is somewhat interested and I was force feeding her when I realized her crop is huge! Any ideas what else might be going on with her?? Please help its my first time owning chickens
20210415_120029.jpg
my chicken

Found lice on her & im treating her for that.
Good.

I noticed shes not eating but she is somewhat interested and I was force feeding her when I realized her crop is huge!
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing--the crop is on the front, at the base of the neck, right?

A huge crop can just mean the chicken ate a lot of food, or it can indicate a problem.

I would leave food and water available to her for the rest of today.
But tonight, let her sleep in the dark, with no food or water.

Check the crop again tomorrow morning. If it is empty, then it is working just fine.
If the crop is still very full after a night with no food & water, then start researching "impacted crop." (I know there are some articles on this site about it.)

For food, do you have chicken food for her? That is usually the easiest way to provide a complete diet. It is possible to feed chickens with a combination of people-foods, but it is more difficult, and the chicken is more likely to get too little or too much of something (which can cause problems.)

Good.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing--the crop is on the front, at the base of the neck, right?

A huge crop can just mean the chicken ate a lot of food, or it can indicate a problem.

Check the crop again tomorrow morning. If it is empty, then it is working just fine.
If the crop is still very full after a night with no food & water, then start researching "impacted crop." (I know there are some articles on this site about it.)

For food, do you have chicken food for her? That is usually the easiest way to provide a complete diet. It is possible to feed chickens with a combination of people-foods, but it is more difficult, and the chicken is more likely to get too little or too much of something (which can cause problems.)
I added more pictures. I thought they had all been added. Yes her crop in the front. It is missing some feathers as well. I know she is molting so that is why I assumed she was away from the others. Then upon checking she had lice. After treating the lice I noticed she wasn't pooping or eating. So I also figured she shouldn't have a huge crop since she's not eating. I have placed her with no food or water & will see tomorrow morning

Good.

Yes I'm feeding them layer crumble feed

In one picture, I see that her right foot is curled up. Is it always like this, or just the way she was standing for that picture?

Where did you find this chicken?

In one picture, I see that her right foot is curled up. Is it always like this, or just the way she was standing for that picture?

Where did you find this chicken?
Hi! So she had her foot like that alot through out the day until I put her in a box by herself. I have injected her with antibiotics & feeding her hydro hen with a baby syringe. She seems interested im eating but doesn't eat more than 2 bites. Her crop still is huge! Golf ball size. I have massaged it & she only complains. Her bottom today is swollen. On the tail area not anus. Above the anus.

This is her bump on the tail area. Friend of mine says it could be from the lice. But I'm not sure.

Attachments

• 20210416_091307.jpg
    20210416_091307.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 10
Update: she is currently taking her last breaths. It is not her crop as I massaged her I came to realize this lump is way too high up in her neck to be her crop. She is interested in eating but can't. I looked into her beak & cannot see anything blocking. I will disect after she passes. I believe it can be a mass. It feels squishy.

Back
Top Bottom