1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken is faking egg bound. LOL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rirbrahma, Dec 13, 2011.

1. rirbrahma

rirbrahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    For 2-3 days my new hamp(11 Months old & has been laying 6 days out of the week) Has been nesting and acting like she is trying to lay an egg. After 1-2 hours in the nest box she will come out and sing the egg song but no egg. I checked her vent and couldn't see an egg. What do you think is going on? Also, She has been having very runny dropping. she eats & doesn't act any different.

Thank you &
    Please help!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Maybe she is just broody? Check her vent area very well, and "feel" around her undercarriage to see if you can feel an egg that may be lodged in there. I haven't had it happen, but I know there are some very good posts on the subject. You may have better luck reading up on it under the "diseases and injuries" forum.

3. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    It's good that she is able to be passing her droppings......I know it might seem disturbing but the easiest way to tell if she is egg bound is to cover your finger with olive oil and GENTLY feel around her vent. If she does have an egg give her a warm bath with water comeing up to her vent. Leave her to soak for at least 30min massaging the area gently in the direction the egg is going. Hopefully if she has an egg she will pass it. Keep us updated and good luck!
    -Roxy

4. rirbrahma

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    Is that the only way to see if she is egg bound? Thank you

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When my EE Rachel Corrie was egg bound, I could feel the egg just to one side of her vent. I thought I was imagining things at the time, but I thought I also could feel a second egg on the opposite side. This was external.

Rachel had spent the whole morning in the nest with no results. By evening, she was standing around with her tail held low, in obvious pain.

I gave her a long warm water soak, and an hour later, an egg! I reached into the crate where she had been relaxing after her soak, and there was the second egg! It was a soft-shelled egg, but two eggs, nonetheless!

If I were you I'd try the warm water soak. It can't hurt. Then dry her off and place her in a crate with nesting material in a darkened space. That ought to do it unless she's got bigger problems such as internally laying.

6. rirbrahma

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I gave her the hot soak felt on the side and nothing. I put her with some hay & a heat lamp. I just felt and I can feel 1 egg. What should I do Its 7:18PM Here & she's already asleep.
    Should I give her another soak??

Thanks

7. rirbrahma

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    OH, She's eating and drinking just fine!

8. rirbrahma

Oct 25, 2011
    hawaii
    I will let her go tomorrow. If she doesn't lay by tomorrow I'll hot soak her again.

9. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    sounds good! I hope she gets better!

10. Lindz

Lindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Poor lil chicky. I hope she lays soon and is better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by