Chicken is leaking out of bum, help!

bibzybean

Chirping
Apr 22, 2019
CONTEXT: recently 2 of our chickens died, leaving one hen, so we rescued 3 more chickens to keep her company. The 3 new girls have been settling in okay, aside from being bullied by the old hen, which we are trying to work on. They are not all laying yet - maybe one or two of them, but we are not sure who.

We have recently noticed that one of the new chickens has a very messy bum - at first we thought it was just regular diarrhoea, however we have now noticed that she seems to be leaking small amounts of fluid out of the back almost constantly, especially when she drinks water. We are obviously very concerned because she is at risk of dehydration. I saw a small amount of blood in the fluid today, but I think she has wounds on her rear end from being pecked, so I don't think the blood is internal/coming out of her. She is acting totally normally for a mildly ill chicken, eating and drinking normally, sometimes hanging out with the others but sometimes keeping a bit of distance, maybe a little quieter than usual. Her rear end is not low down, we do not think there is any kind of egg blockage.

We are giving her loxicon and penicillin at the moment. Does anyone know what this constant leaking could be?

Thank you

Can you please post photos of her, the vent and of her poop?

What do you feed?

Any yeasty smell from the discharge?
When was her last egg?
Is her crop emptying?
How old is she?
Is she an Ex Batt or?

It would be a good idea to gather her up, give her a wash up to remove discharge and examine her vent. If she's got scabbing or damage from vent picking and there's blood, you'll want to clean the area and apply something like Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment.

Finding and knowing the source of blood is important - you need to make sure it is from wounds and not something else like infection, worms, coccidiosis, etc.

Can you please post photos of her, the vent and of her poop?

What do you feed?

Any yeasty smell from the discharge?
When was her last egg?
Is her crop emptying?
How old is she?
Is she an Ex Batt or?

It would be a good idea to gather her up, give her a wash up to remove discharge and examine her vent. If she's got scabbing or damage from vent picking and there's blood, you'll want to clean the area and apply something like Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment.

Finding and knowing the source of blood is important - you need to make sure it is from wounds and not something else like infection, worms, coccidiosis, etc.
I will send photos when possible - her crop seems normal, haven't noticed any kind of smell. She is a few months old and was recently rescued from a commercial egg farm.

Back
Top Bottom