Chicken is lethargic, not eating, losing weight, watery poop with blood

BuffOrp82

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 8, 2013
I have a year and a half old golden comet who is pretty sick. I found her in the barn just standing by herself with her eyes closed. I brought her in the house 4 days ago. I have been giving her penicillin, anti-inflammatories and Corid and Rooster Booster in her water since I brought her in. She is not eating much, almost nothing really, drinking a lot though. Her droppings are watery and some have looked like there is blood in them. She sleeps most of the day and really has no energy, and I can tell she is losing weight.

I lost a chicken a week ago with similar symptoms, I took that chicken to the vet and after lots of tests and bills she passed with no diagnosis. I cant afford to take another one the vet right now. The entire flock has rooster booster and Corid in their water right now as a precaution.

Anyone shed any light on this? I don't want to lose another one, I suspect Coccidiosis but she has no response to the Corid.

I plan to keep her on the Corid for the full dose (which is one more day) but I would have thought if it were Coccidiosis she would have bounced back a little by now.

I'm at a loss and I hate seeing her like this :(

Has she even been drinking enough of the Corid water to be effective? You might try making a drench dose of Corid water and give it with a syringe.

She has been drinking quite a bit, just not eating. But it probably wouldn't hurt to give her a drench at this point. Do you know the drench dosage? I have both the 9.6% liquid and the 20% powder, I can find the drench dosage online just the water mix ones.

Ok so I broke down and was able to get the vet to do a fecal test today, no Coccidiosis .. So now I'm really at a loss. I did manage to get her to eat a bit today though, I floated some meal worms in her water and she seemed to really like that.

Back
Top Bottom