1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken is limping.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RodNTN, Jun 20, 2016.

1. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    My young pullet just started limping earlier today. I looked at her foot and there's no injuries, no bumps, scratches, etc. She keeps up with the flock pretty well and eats, drinks, and forages. Sometimes she stays behind the flock and wants me to carry her to the other chickens. Could it just be strained? Does anybody know what it could be?
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, that sounds like a sprain. If you have a cage that you can place her inside with food and water, and keep her with her flock for company all day, it would help to rest the leg for 1-2 weeks. Don't let her get on a roost until she heals. You can consider using a chicken chair or sling if she will stay in one.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Thanks, I will see what I can do. She's doing a bit better today, she was running and flying around despite of her limp.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    She's doing a lot better today, I barely noticed her limp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by