Chicken is limping!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappyClucker7, Mar 21, 2017.

1. HappyClucker7

HappyClucker7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2016
    My BR Marble suddenly started limping yesterday. I felt her legs and everytime I touched her left knee, she pulled her leg away. I looked up what could be wrong with her but couldn't really find anything. So what could be wrong with her and what can I do to help her?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Can you look at the bottom of her foot to make sure there are no scabs or cuts? is there any swelling on her ankle or hock? Forcing her to rest her leg in a pen or dog crate (with her own food and water) for a few days may help if it is a sprain. A broken leg or bad sprain can take 3-4 weeks or more to heal. I usually will add a human B Complex to the water or grind it up in some food to help. A vet could xray it for broken bones if you have one available. Vet wrap or tape can be used to make a splint if it is a broken bone. Here is a link to read about splinting a bird's leg: http://www.lbah.com/word/avian/fractured-bird-leg/

1 person likes this.
  3. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016
    Thank you for your detailed comment! [​IMG]She is one year old. She is walking around eating and drinking normally, but is still limping. I will look for any cuts on her foot but it's really her knee that hurts her. She has been sleeping in the egg box these couple of days, so I just left er there because I thought that it might hurt her to jump off of the roost. She is at the top of the pecking order so I don't think the other chickens would have hurt her. Tanks again! [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, she will rest the leg and it will get better on it's own in a few weeks.

5. HappyClucker7

Apr 28, 2016
    Yay![​IMG] Marble is finally feeling better and not limping anymore. I'm so relieved that it wasn't anything serious.[​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Great news. She recovered pretty quickly. Thanks for the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by