Chicken is missing an eye- I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ivy061, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    I'm not sure who did it but one of my chickens pecked out another chickens eye. I'm kind of freaking out and not sure what to do. Do I try and figure out who did it and cull them?
    Is it a one time thing? How do I treat the eye? I really don't want it getting infected. Is there anything I can do?
    It's other eye is fine and it doesn't seem to have any problems moving around.

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    you need to get the injured one away from the others asap clean it out with water as best as you can hopefully more people will tell you what to put on it i have never had this problem. i dont see any need to cull the one who took out the eye cause chickens are curious and ive been pecked in the eye by my chickens before. they just get curious thats all. hope someone chimes in

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    separate the injured chicken from the rest of the flock... a chicken can survive with one eye... allow the wound to heal before reintroducing the chicken back to the flock. if there is no signs of infection just leave it... if thee is signs of infection use a saline eye solution to clean the eye socket

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with the other posters. Seperate the injured one to treat the eye injury, but after that - chickens can do fine with one eye.

No need to cull anyone, more than likely an accident.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have a one eyed young rooster. I kept him separated for a few days, gave him antibiotics (wasn't sure what it was at first) and kept his eye cleaned. He's now back with the flock and doing just fine. Easier to catch him if you get him on his blind side! [​IMG]

6. Ivy061

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Okay well I took a closer look at it after I calmed down and the eye is still in the socket. It's all white and the lids are half shut. Do I still clean it with water or saline solution? I will separate it ASAP.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you can get any over the holiday, what would be ideal is the antibiotic ophthalmic ointment sold in feed stores. You can also use plain old Neosporin ointment in and near an eye, brand name.

Separating is to prevent the others from messing with the eye until it is healed.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Use saline solution as Dar stated. Then put neosporin in the eye to prevent infection as ddawn stated.

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:****** if the eye is still there DO NOT use visine!!!!******* use plain old sailine for your eyes... salinex is a brand name...... you dont want to use ANYTHING that "gets the red out"... you want natural tears

when my dog walked into the christmas tree a few years back and injured her eye I called my vet and he said just to rinse the eye with a saline solution and he stressed no "get the red out" products... i cant remember why but i remember her stressed it.. [​IMG]

10. Ivy061

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Well this morning she started scratching at it with her feet. It's started to bleed again. What do I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by