1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken is not laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by haidar, May 19, 2011.

1. haidar

haidar Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    ok i bought 2 hens i have no idea how old they are but they are about 1+ year old and my other chickens are laying fine but those two have not been laying for 2 weeks

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Relocation and finding their place in the flock takes time. Two weeks is not too long. You didn't say what breeds that are, or did I miss that?

If they are eating and seem well adjusted, they should begin to lay. I assume you checked them for worms, lice and all the other nasties?
    It is possible, sadly, that someone sold you virtually used up hens. If you could post some pictures, it would be helpful. Do show the legs.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Some hens could take several weeks to begin laying after being relocated. Are you sure they're around a year old (in other words, can you trust your source to be honest with you?). As FH suggested, it's possible they're older than you were told, and that's why they were rehomed/sold. Hopefully it's just that their system was thrown out of whack by the changes though...

4. haidar

May 15, 2011
    one is black australorp and the other one is green blue egg layer http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3567/dsc01011w.jpg

and
    no i didn't not check them for worms or lice and any other stuff cuz idk how to im a newbie lol and i bought them both from this store close to my house they said they're laying hens and i paid 20$ for each

5. haidar

May 15, 2011
    one is black australorp and the other one is green blue egg layer http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3567/dsc01011w.jpg

and
    no i didn't not check them for worms or lice and any other stuff cuz idk how to im a newbie lol and i bought them both from this store close to my house they said they're laying hens and i paid 20$ for each

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by