CHICKEN IS SEVERELY INJURED!! HELP PLEASE URGENT!!!

Katelyn11

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
As per normal my chicken fight with each other for dominance and they each have their war wounds but they all eventually heal on their own, but my youngest chicken has received some a severe mauling from the others, i got home about an hour ago to find that my youngest chicken Otis has a hole in her head. I can see white liquid in the hole and the skin is raised. I have no idea what to do please help me.

can someone please give me some tips on how to make it heal better and stuff like that please. im not sure what is suitable to use

I would get her cleaned up with betadine, hibiclens, or dish soap and water. Dry her and examine how bad the wound is. Put antibiotic cream such as Neosporin on the wounds daily. Keep her isolated until she heals, and keep an eye on her for any infection. You can give her some amoxicillin or keflex if you can get some from a vet.

Be sure and clean out the deep wound well because that one may abscess in 2-3 days. You might even pour a little hydrogen peroxide in there only once, and each day try to keep it open with a QTip and some neopsorin until it heals.

If i was to use the betadine, would i just fill the hole then rinse out with water or what? sorry im not really sure how i would approach it as im only 15 :( and should i bandage it up ?

by the way thank you very much for you help

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. I would weaken the Betadine and drip it into the hole, and not rinse it. The peroxide could also be used instead of betadine, but peroxide needs to only be used once. How is she doing today?

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. I would weaken the Betadine and drip it into the hole, and not rinse it. The peroxide could also be used instead of betadine, but peroxide needs to only be used once. How is she doing today?
So sorry i didn't see your post until now, i have been quite busy lately. But umm yes i put betadine in the hole but i didnt weaken it. I just put a couple drops in/on and around it to heal it quicker. She is absolutely fine now the wound is completely healed and it seems she isnt getting attacked anymore which is great. Thankyou so much for your help by the way you were a life saver :D

Back
Top Bottom