Chicken is Sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KC n KY, Nov 22, 2010.

1. KC n KY

KC n KY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    I have a LF Partridge Cochin who is young (less than a year old) and is stumbling around. This is the first day she has shown any symptoms. Her symptoms include: unbalanced, tired/drowsy, lack of energy, stumbling around.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    There are a lot of different things that can cause those symptoms. Could she have gotten into any moldy feed or eaten something poinsonouse (grass or bug killer, rat poison?)? Is she eating and drinking? What's her poop like? How is she today? Any of the other chickens showing symptoms today?

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i would isolate her and keep an eye on her for any other symptoms. Is she thin? Feel her keel bone. Keep her drinking and eating, perhaps with some hard boiled egg. Keep her warm and give her a chance to improve. Let us know if you see any other symptoms and what her poo looks like. Hope she is feeling better tomorrow.

4. KC n KY

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    My bad, I think I got a little overly excited:rolleyes: She was living with a roo that was 1/3 american game, and what I took to be an illness was just the rooster being WAY to aggresive. It had not occured to me that the roo might be hurting her, but I am now 80 percent sure that he was her problem. I relocated him to another residence where all of the birds free range and are games. She is a small cochin, I think she is 1/2 bantam, 1/2 LF, so I got her anew friend...or....um...maybe 3 new friends:) She is now recuperating 3 little Splash Ameraucauna bantams!

ETA I believe the roo might have hurt her foot, she hobbles a bit but I think she will be fine.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hope all those new buddies are girls. Glad you found out what the problem was. Roosters can cause a lot of damage. That's why i only have hens now.

6. KC n KY

Oct 10, 2010
    Grayson, KY
    1 of the new buddies is a roo, but he is a weet little thing, and is so small he should not cause any trouble. She is now at the top of the pecking order, so she should recooperate fine.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by