Chicken is sneezing, has raspy breathing. No other symptoms though.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Feelin' Peckish, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Feelin' Peckish

Feelin' Peckish New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    Hey guys I'm new around here, and I hate to be that guy (someone who doesn't know what the heck they're doing lol) but a few weeks ago I noticed one of our chickens had a gravely sort of raspy breathing and was sneezing quite a bit. NO runny nose or swelling though, and her appetite is fine - in fact she is the biggest eater of the flock. Doesn't seem that sick and is quite a happy hen. Still lays eggs dependably. but like I said, she's been like this for a few weeks.

We decided to quarantine her for now in case it's a respiratory disease.

Appreciate the time folks.

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    It sounds like she may have some respiratory infection going on.
    It could be a number of things but if you suspect a respiratory infection, then you can use a medicine called Tylan and see if she gets better.
    Rasping or gurgling + sneezing in chickens is normally not a "healthy" sign.
    You may also want to check it for worms just in case its something like gapeworm (not that common though).

3. Feelin' Peckish

Feelin' Peckish New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    Thanks for the input, appreciate it. I'll try giving her the medicine and hope for the best.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Ditto

5. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    I have one doing exactly the same thing and I just treated her for Gapeworms today with Safeguard paste. An equine wormer I purchased at TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I researched and researched on this site and I am 99% positive that is what mine has. Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. Feelin' Peckish

Feelin' Peckish New Egg

Sep 29, 2011
    Quote:Thanks, will check it out. Really appreciate the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by